On this episode, you’ll get to know Patrick Whitehead of Blue Ostrich Winery in St. Jo. Patrick is the first person I’ve interviewed from North Texas. He shares his thoughts about growing grapes and making wine in North Texas, his desire for a new AVA for his estate vineyard, and so much more.
First, there's Texas wine news including recognition for Leah Derton of William Chris Vineyards, Texas wineries at Wild World Festival in Brooklyn, and Texas wine selections appearing in Decanter. Remembering Dr. Pat Brennan of Brennan Vineyards.
Connect with the Podcast:
Help the Show:
Subscribe to the newsletter to get the Texas wine crossword puzzle!
Listen and Subscribe in Apple Podcasts
Listen and Subscribe in Google Podcasts
Mentioned in this Episode
Learn more about Sommly.com, a new way to discover, shop and interact with Texas wineries.
Sommly is an online marketplace where wine enthusiasts can explore wineries, read reviews, and buy locally. Wineries will love the site because it will help them find new customers and grow their most profitable channel, direct to consumer, similar to how Etsy has helped artisans sell their goods.
Founded by an Austin, Texas wine-loving husband and wife team, Sommly is coming soon!
Visit Sommly.com to subscribe for exciting updates!
Texas Wine In the News
Wine Business Monthly names Leah Derton and James Tidwell Wine Business Leaders of 2021
NEW! Uncorked YouTube Series About Texas Wine
Texas Winemakers YouTube Series About Texas Wine
Wild World Festivals / Celebration of all things that are fermented
Decanter List of 10 Texas Wines to Try
* William Chris Vineyards Roussanne, La Pradera Vineyard (highest score of 92)
* Duchman Family Winery Trebbiano, Bingham Family Vineyards
* Slate Mill Winery Viognier, Reddy Vineyards
* CL Butaud Cease & Desist (Tempranillo/Mourvedre blend)
* Wedding Oak’s Aglianico, Hye Top Vineyards
* Pedernales Cellars Texas High Plains Tempranillo
* Fall Creek Vineyards GSM, Salt Lick Vineyards
* Becker Vineyards Texas Hill Country Reserve Petit Sirah
* Texas Heritage Vineyards, Paka Vineyards Souzao
* Bingham Family Vineyards Texas High Plains Dugout (Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignan, and Petit Verdot blend)
Lana Bortolot for Forbes.com: White Wines You’ll Fall For
Granbury's Winter Wine Walk - Nov 19-20
Need lodging in Fredericksburg? Check out my home Cork + Cactus onHeavenly Hosts.com!
Interview: Patrick Whitehead of Blue Ostrich Winery
Demerits and Gold Stars
Uncork Texas Wine’s 3D relief map of Texas wine growing regions.
Shelly’s Wine Education Website:
Thanks to Texas Wine Lover for promotional help! For the latest information on Texas wineries and vineyards, visitTexas Wine Lover
Wine & Food Foundation
I’m so happy to be part of the community of wine and food lovers at The Wine & Food Foundation! Get more information about upcoming events, the IMBIBE: The WFF Education Series, and find membership options here.